Halfmoon sandbags are made of heavy layered cotton with two zippered closures. Below are instructions to fill your sandbag without getting sand in the zipper (which could cause it to jam).
You will need:
- dry, sterilized play box sand (from a building supply store)
- a wide mouth funnel or a plastic bottle with the bottom cut out
- a scale
How to fill your sandbag:
- To prevent your sandbag from tipping over while you are filling it, wrap the handle around your wrist and hold the bag upright as you pour the sand in. Once the the bag has some sand in it, it will be more stable and you can lessen your grip.
- Open both zippers and insert a funnel.
- Slowly pour the sand into the funnel using a cup and taking care not to spill the sand on the zipper.
- Fill the bag to the correct weight but don’t fill it up all the way. An over-filled sandbag needs to drape to stay in place. When filling multiple sandbags make sure to fill them to the same weight. If you don’t have a scale fill the bags to equal volume, leaving 4-5” of space.
- Remove the funnel carefully and check that the zipper is sand-free. Sand can jam the zipper or prevent it from closing properly. Close both zippers locking the zipper pulls down.
- keep your sandbag dry
- avoid dropping your sandbag as the weight can split the seam
Use your sandbag to bring weight, awareness and openness to your yoga poses. Enjoy!