We’ve been asked many times, “How should I clean my yoga mat?” In this post we break down the Do’s and Don’ts of yoga mat care.
• Clean your mat after every use to keep it looking (and smelling) fantastic! Proper cleaning and care of your mat will ensure that it performs at its best and prolong its life! Cleaning a brand new mat before its first use can also help make the mat stickier.
• Use a specialized mat cleaning product (like Halfmoon Mat Clean) that’s made with non-toxic, natural ingredients.
• Allow your mat to dry fully before rolling it up. You can hang it to air dry, or speed the process by giving it a good wipe with a towel.
• Try a Yoga Towel. Our towels will soak up sweat during your practice and keep your mat clean of any dirt or germs on your hands and feet. Our towels can be thrown in the wash and are quick to dry.
• Put your yoga mat in the washing machine, unless it is a Breathable Eco Mat. Eco Mats do quite well in the washer.
• Immerse your mat in water (unless you have a long time to wait for it to dry). A mat can takes 3-5 days to dry fully after being immersed in water.
• Clean your mat with heavy essential oils. They can leave a film on the mat which may impact its grip.
Everyday activities like sitting at a desk, staring at a computer, hunching over a cell phone or even holding a bag consistently on one side can cause stagnancy, stiffness and fatigue in the body. As habits build, poor posture can easily become second nature, causing back and neck pain and even damaging spinal structures.
However, the main factors that affect posture are totally within our control, and aren’t difficult to change with consistent awareness. If you’re sitting at a desk for eight hours a day, the following tips will help support you in maintaining a better posture.